Monday, June 9, 2014

Maputo, Mozambique Days 1 & 2

Firstly, let me apologize in advance, the Internet signal is not powerful here to upload photos so I am hoping when we are in South Africa overnight on our bus ride to Namibia that I will be able to upload some photos, if not I will update all the posts with photos from Namibia. Out first two day in Maputo have been interesting. Our backpackers lodge is quaint but last night it was a bit sketchy when we got locked in our room and could not get out for quite awhile. Our day started yesterday with a very tiny ferry carting us from Catembe to Maputo and us not understanding much of what people were trying to tell us. I really need to brush up on my Portuguese skills. Once we arrived we checked in and headed out on foot. We found the cathedral, independence square, and pretty decent Indian restaurant, and a grocery store (which was most important as our hostel is self catering which means we can save money by cooking our own food.) Day two began with a walk down to the Cafe Acacia where we met with a guide who told us how to get around town and what the best sites are to see...when we left her we hopped on a tuk tuk and had our very own tour guide for the next two hours as he was dipping and dodging down the streets of Maputo. He kept apologizing for his English being poor but I thought it was amazing and it was much better than my Portuguese. He took us to the craft market, the major port in the city, down embassy row, past the presidents home, Nelson Mandela's home here in Mozambique, the fresh fish market where we picked up some snapper for dinner later, one of the local forts, the old train station, a few monuments, and the local produce market to pick up the remaining ingredients for our dinner. He dropped us at the hostel and promised to come get us again tomorrow to explore a bit more! Finally, I cooked the first full meal I have made since my accident. I sautéed the red snapper with peri peri peppers, tomatoes, a spice similar to cumin, onions, and bell pepper and made some pasta dressed with tomato, peri peri peppers, onion, green pepper, and some fresh cucumber on the side. Time to go take an evening walk to get ready for bed tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment